What is Chest Reduction Surgery?
Gynecomastia is the procedure for male breast reduction. Although this is a subject that men rarely talk about it is quite a common condition. During puberty most teenage boys will develop fatty tissue around the chest or breast area which for about 90% usually subsides naturally within a year or so. For the remaining 10% of men it can remain with them for the rest of their adult lives. The severity of the condition varies with each individual.
For many men the most simple and effective way of correcting this is using liposuction which removes the pockets of fat that have developed in the chest area.
The Consultant Plastic Surgeon will assess whether the area comprises merely of fat or whether there is some breast tissue present. Liposuction is used to remove excess chest fat, through a small incision a hollow metal tube known as a cannula, breaks up the fat beneath the skin. It is then removed by a syringe or vacuum pump. Ultrasound waves or an injection of fluid can also break up the fat. Depending on the extent of the fatty tissue, our Consultant Plastic Surgeon may want to remove any excess breast tissue. This can be done at the same time as liposuction.
What results can I expect?
A firmer and more contoured chest
A reduction in fatty tissue
Improvements in the over appearance of your chest
Frequently Asked Questions about Male Chest Reduction
Who will do my initial consultation?
Our Consultant Plastic Surgeon
What is the recovery time like?
The procedure usually takes 1 to 2 hours and will require an overnight stay in hospital. You will need to take between 5 and 10 days off work to recover; the exact time will depend on the extent of the surgery.
You can have bruising or swelling around the chest area and you may feel mild discomfort for 1 to 2 weeks after your procedure, your aftercare will be managed with the support of your Consultant Plastic Surgeon and River Medical Registered General Nurse to ensure you the safest and most comfortable recovery.
How should I prepare for my procedure?
There are a few elements to this: preparation will begin with your initial consultation with our Consultant Plastic Surgeon, you will also meet with one of our Registered General Nurses. They will both go through every aspect of the surgery and your recovery with you.
You will come in once more before your surgery to have a further comprehensive pre-operative assessment with your River Medical Nurse.
The Consultant Plastic Surgeon will be available to you right up until your surgery should you wish to see him again.
Why do you not have before and after pictures on the website?
Before and after pictures on websites can be misleading as they may not be patients of the surgeon who will be doing your Chest Reduction procedure.
As every person waiting a Chest Reduction has completely different expectations it is a much more valuable tool for your Consultant Plastic Surgeon to show pictures of not only Male Chest Reductions procedures that he as actually done but also show you results you will be likely to receive.
Is there a non-surgical alternative?
River Medical will always endeavour to provide all patients will a down to earth and honest consultation with this in mind if there is a non-surgical alternative our Consultant Plastic Surgeon will offer you this solution if your desired results can be achieved.
There is a non-invasive fat removal treatment called Coolsculpt that can be used for Male Chest Reduction in suitable candidates. Click here for more information on Coolsculpt.